Re: UID mismatch across systems

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 11:21 AM, deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
>
>> The problem is that none of those will work if the existing uids/gids
>> on the systems are not already consistent, and they aren't.
>
> And the goal of your statement was what exactly?

To solicit advice about how to deal with the mismatch, including the
options I mentioned originally:
1) manually change the uids/gids  so  they match--and how to do that
safely, esp on a live system
2) live with the the mismatches, at least for system accounts.

I was also wondering how systems could be set up to have matching ids,
given that the initial install doesn't use a shared identity database.
For example, my newer systems have uid 101 = input, while pre-jessie
ones have 101 = libuuid.  The new ones have systemd-* users at
102-105, while the older ones have other users there.

> There is no magic wand for that - debian has default numbering for system
> accounts, so only user and custom accounts need to be moved to some user
> management system like mysql or ldap. Of course OP will need to chown on
> each machine to make it work.

I am the OP!  Thanks  for your responses.
Ross