Re: Anyone know what this means when running aptitude update?

Op 26-03-17 om 18:01 schreef Mark Fletcher:
Hello

When I run aptitude update I get, amongst the successful update reports,
the following error messages:

W: There is no public key available for the following key IDs:
1397BC53640DB551
W: Failed to fetch http://http.debian.net/debian/dists/jessie-backports/main/i18n/Translation-enIndex: Hash Sum mismatch
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
E: Couldn't rebuild package cache

I'm not sure if the warning about the key and the second warning are
related or not, I've got my doubts.

They're not. The key ID is a very well known issue (at least on the forums), to do with google's repository. They started using a new key last April and didn't tell anyone. The hash sum mismatch is usually a passing issue: updating while the repository/mirror itself is in the process of updating. If it keeps showing up, that mirror is probably borked. Try deb.debian.org instead of http.debian.net.

The key ID can be fixed in several ways. I usually suggest:

wget -qO- https://dl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add -

Alternatively:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 1397BC53640DB551

Regards,
Frank