Re: Issue with notebook (maybe the battery?)

Hi, David.

On 25/03/17 16:34, David Wright wrote:

>> Hi all!
>>
>> Last night, when I was going to close my notebook (with Jessie), I
>> unplugged the charger cable waiting for the notebook to automatically go
>> to sleep mode and surprisingly it turned off. It was a bit late so I
>> left the issue to check it out today.
>>
>> I re-plugged the charger cable and KDE displays a message saying
>> "Charging ..." but the charge level does not exceed 38%.
>>
>> Some observations:
>>
>> * If I unplug the charger, the notebook turns off. I would expect it to
>> not turn off if the battery has a 38% charge.
>>
>> * When I plug in the charger, I notice that the battery LED blinks green
>> for a few seconds (as if it was charging), then blinks orange for a
>> moment (as if the battery is low) and finally it goes out (as if it were
>> already loaded).
>>
>> * If with the cable plugged in I go to the KDE option to sleep the
>> notebook, it works. But as soon as I disconnect the cable, the notebook
>> turns off.
>>
>> Maybe it's a problem with the battery? Can you think of any other tests
>> I can do to identify the source of the problem?
>
> Sounds like the battery has lost one of more of its cells.
> A charge of 38% is not bad in itself, but if the voltage
> isn't there, the computer won't run.
>
> Do you have a file along the lines of /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent
> that has more information in it than just the charge numbers?

Below copy the output of the values obtained by this file:

$ cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=BAT0
POWER_SUPPLY_STATUS=Unknown
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_CYCLE_COUNT=0
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MIN_DESIGN=10800000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=10938000
POWER_SUPPLY_POWER_NOW=0
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL_DESIGN=60000000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_FULL=48920000
POWER_SUPPLY_ENERGY_NOW=18790000
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY=38
POWER_SUPPLY_CAPACITY_LEVEL=Critical
POWER_SUPPLY_MODEL_NAME=45N1107
POWER_SUPPLY_MANUFACTURER=L
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUMBER= 4375

I had also consulted this file, although it seems that it shows the same
information but with a different format:

$ upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0
  native-path:          BAT0
  vendor:               L
  model:                45N1107
  serial:               4375
  power supply:         yes
  updated:              sáb 25 mar 2017 17:49:46 -03 (57 seconds ago)
  has history:          yes
  has statistics:       yes
  battery
    present:             yes
    rechargeable:        yes
    state:               charging
    warning-level:       none
    energy:              18,79 Wh
    energy-empty:        0 Wh
    energy-full:         48,92 Wh
    energy-full-design:  60 Wh
    energy-rate:         0 W
    voltage:             10,939 V
    percentage:          38%
    capacity:            81,5333%
    technology:          lithium-ion
    icon-name:          'battery-good-charging-symbolic'

Thanks for your reply.

Kind regards,
Daniel