Re: An INCOMPLETE solution - was [Re: Where is data stored when Synaptic scans DVDs?]

On Sat 25 Mar 2017 at 12:59:50 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 24 Mar 2017 at 16:31:25 -0500, David Wright wrote:

> > > Suppose /var/cache/apt/archives is empty because 'apt-get clean' has
> > > been run. What then?
> >
> > Good point. I noticed that the two .bin files in /var/cache/apt/ that
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/03/msg00722.html
> > mentioned, come and go with apt-get update and clean respectively.
> > I had overlooked how ephemeral they are. They're built from scratch at
> > the "Reading package lists... Done" line after the Fetched line.
> >
> > If your only sources are the DVDs then I can't see a problem with just
> > adding those files (or whatever the names are of any files that
> > appear—they could differ with apt-cdrom) to your list of files you
> > (OP) share between systems. It's tricky to check what's actually
> > in them as they're binary databases (what I called "hidden"
> > information previously).
>
> It probably does no harm to transfer them to the target system but they
> can be generated there from 'apt-get update'.

In which case I can't think of any files other than those under
/var/lib/apt/, which always seemed correct to me for index files.

So my parting suggestion is running synaptic under strace and
examining the output at the time it becomes disgruntled and wants
those DVDs to be scanned (which is what the OP wants to avoid having
to do). If that fails, the source of apt/apt-cdrom can be downloaded
and read, which should settle the OP's waters.

Cheers,
David.