Re: Need USB Wireless Adaptor for Dell Inspiron 11 2-in-1?

On 03/25/2017 07:49 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 04:15 deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:
Tom Browder wrote:
Dell 1800
What is this Dell 1800 - what is the wireless card model and driver?
In the subject you ay Dell Inspiron 11, which has DW1707.
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Dell_Wireless_1707_(DW1707)
The Dell Wireless 1800 is what Dell calls the wireless network adapter
in the Dell 11 Inspiron 3000 2-in-one laptop.  There are actually at
least three sub-models of the 11 and mine (3157, service tag FGYN52)
has the DW1800, part number KJTH7, which uses the Debian package
firmware-realtek.

I did try to use the latest kernel from jessie-backports but the
reboot failed and I started over after I found a USB wired ethernet
adaptor in my parts box (a Cable Matters 202023 which claims it works
with all OSs) and it works great.   The wireless still is unreliable
but, in the meantime, I have taken Reco's advice and bought an Ralink
RT5370 which I trust will solve the problem when it arrives.

I too have used a couple of Dell Latitudes for a total of eight years
and have had no trouble with them, but its wired/wireless adapter is
different from the 11.

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

My Latitude E6510 produces this from lshw:
*-network
   product: Centrino Advanced-N 6200
   vendor: Intel Corporation

Setting up wireless was no sweat. On the other hand, I have an Inspiron E1505, that has a Broadcom wireless interface, and it was a real hassle to get it to work! Since Broadcom has been bought out by someone, it might now be even harder, or maybe impossible.

I suspect (but don't know) that the internal wireless cards are more-or-less interchangeable, unless there is some specific information in the BIOS regarding the one that's installed. I've heard that Dell tends to mix and match internal hardware, depending on what's available or what's cheapest at the time, so perhaps there is nothing specific to a particular interface in the BIOS. Perhaps you can find an interface card that will physically interface
your machine and see if it works. (NOT Broadcom!)

While I was trying to get the Inspiron wireless to work, I bought a little USB gadget that was very small, and while it did work, it had almost no range. The internal wifi cards attach to antenna wires that run up behind the screen, and this gives much better range.

One more thing: I have a machine that has a Broadcom chip in it, and I have dual-booted Mint 17 LTS on that machine, and Mint is smart enough to find the right software for the Broadcom, and Mint works out of the box on that machine. And Mint is a nice distro. Try it!

--doug