Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

Catherine Gramze wrote:>
>> On Mar 23, 2017, at 9:22 PM, Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
>>
>> Catherine, I'm curious - when was the last time you installed Debian
>> using d-i? I've now seen you several times write (like above) about
>> "backing out of the installer after the reboot". Are you talking about
>> a second stage of d-i after it's installed the base system?
>>
>My last Debian netinst installation was January 11, 2017.
>
>Very early in the installation the installer looks for a network card
>to configure. If you have a NIC that will not function without
>non-free firmware this step fails, and the installer says it failed,
>but the installer still allows you to continue with the installation,
>installing all the base system files.

OK, yes.

>Then it tells you the base system is installed, and it needs to
>reboot. It ejects the media and reboots into the installer. You can
>choose to quit at this point by choosing "back"rather than "continue"
>possibly more than once being needed. That is what I mean by "backing
>out" to deliberately get a base system install only.  So, yes, I am
>talking about the second stage after it has installed the base
>system.

Ummm, this is the bit where I don't see what you're seeing: "reboots
into the installer". And I've been developing and testing d-i for a
number of years. We *used* to have the two-reboot setup:

 1. boot the installer from media to do basic setup
 2. boot into that new basic system to continue selecting and
    installing new packages

but that went away years ago. At the end of the single installer run,
it should be finished. Do you mean "reboots into the newly installed
system" instead, maybe?

< liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"