Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 13:16:19 +0100,
Andreas Ronnquist<mailinglists@gusnan.se> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 06:38:52 -0500,
>Richard Owlett<rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>
>>My environment is Jessie (8.6.0) with MATE desktop.
>>I require two things:
>>  1. a search and replace which can include a "newline" in new string.
>>  2. display/edit 2 files simultaneously *side by side*
>>
>>MATE's standard editor (Pluma) can handle the first easily.
>>
>>I see no way to open 2 instances of Pluma in separate windows - a la
>>Notepad in WindowsXP. Pluma will only open multiple files in multiple
>>tabs.
>>
>>The two files are nearly identical and need them displayed
>>simultaneously for instant visual comparison. Opening one of the files
>>read only would be acceptable but not preferable.
>>

>You are looking for the --new-window option, from the terminal:
>
>pluma file1.txt &
>pluma --new-window file2.txt &

And there is a menu option when right-clicking a tab (if there is
more than one tab open in Pluma) - "Move to New Window"

(Both these options are on Pluma 1.16.0, from unstable - the
functionality might not be available in older versions).

-- Andreas Rönnquist
mailinglists@gusnan.se
gusnan@openmailbox.org