Re: Whats the alternative to .xinitrc

On 2017-02-20 10:15:16 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 04:02:50PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Note: since window managers can also start X clients on start up,
> > a .xsession file may not be useful for everyone.
>
> It's a crazy mixed-up world.

I'd say that it's better to start X clients from the window manager's
startup file because the window manager may have rules to place
windows and things like that. If an X client is started from the
.xsession file, the WM won't have a chance to see it early enough
(there may also be race conditions so that the behavior may not be
reproducible).