Re: Stretch stable and jessie testing - repositories listed

On Thursday 09 February 2017 20:46:14 Brian wrote:
> Sid is unstable and unstable is Sid. It doesn't matter which one
> is chosen to be in sources.list.

Agreed.  But I like patterns. ;-)

> Mind you, stable is Jessie and Jessie
> is stable. It's only testing/whatever you have to be careful about.

Here I disagree.  Just as testing will gallop to unite with Sid at the moment
that Stretch becomes Stable, at that moment Jessie will become Old Stable and
Stretch will become Stable.  It is the same difference.  Instead of a nice
stable Jessie, suddenly the unwary punter has a brand new version upgrade,
done helter-skelter without any reference to the release notes: possibly
rather disastrously, as when udev and the kernel HAD to be upgraded first -
was that Squeeze or Lenny?

Lisi