Re: Stretch stable and jessie testing - repositories listed

You forgot to reply to the list.

You forgot to stop top-quoting.  This is a real mailing list, not your
workplace where you have to do everything upside-down.

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 02:20:00PM +0000, GiaThnYgeia wrote:
> So the location of the ***debian.org/ does not ever change, it remains
> the same.

Here is a jessie source:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main non-free contrib

Here is a stretch source:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

> If on the original installation of Jessie you switch from
> main to testing you are running stretch, right?

You DO NOT touch the word "main".  You change the word "jessie".

If you change from "jessie" to "stretch" and then run apt-get update
and then run apt-get dist-upgrade, then you are running stretch.

> If you substitute
> testing with the word stretch you would be remaining on stretch stable
> once it is released.

Yes.

> I am just trying to verify I will be doing the
> right thing and not mess up and end up in sid and have no way back.

Then don't use "sid" or "unstable".

> That is why I said be specific and you are jumping on me (What? EVER
> EITHER, PERPETUAL...) What is perpetual anyway?  Is that a name of
> another system?

Perpetual is an English word.  It means "never-ending" or "eternal".

If you use "testing" instead of "stretch", then you are perpetually
stuck in testing, never to stabilize, always half-broken.

> You can put anything you like in the repository list but unless you
> reload the database and update what can be updated/replaced nothing will
> ever change, correct?

I don't speak GUI.

If you edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file, nothing changes until the
next time you run one of the apt commands.  That doesn't mean you should
go around altering files just for grins.  You should act as though
your changes to sources.list are going to take effect moments after
you make them, because that's usually how people do things: edit file,
run commands.

I can't even guess what happens if you edit the file while you are already
running synaptic, which is one of the apt commands.

I don't know or care what happens if you alter the file from within
synaptic.  I didn't even know that was POSSIBLE.

I can't imagine why someone would attempt to do system administration
with a GUI.  Even if you somehow manage to jump through the hoops
required to get a GUI process running as root to communicate with your X
server in a session run by yourself, you're still doing sysadmin work
while in X, which is not likely to end well.

Don't the release notes strongly advise that you do release upgrades
OUTSIDE of X?  I thought they did.  It's been a while since I read them.

> At least that is how I understand it works, if
> not please DO correct me.
>
> Katrin

I just can't see why it matters.  If you don't intend to perform the
upgrade, don't change the file.