Re: Why packets (from my ISP to me) on the WAN VC side of my router are twice the size of packets on the Ethernet (and a corresponding twice as many bytes)

On Thursday, February 09, 2017 07:36:50 AM Dan Purgert wrote:
> rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> > 2.  I'm sure that I'm looking at the download flows from my ISP as the
> > ratio of the octets / bytes between the two flows is generally
> > something like 10 to 1.   I'm sure that I am not uploading 10 times
> > (or even the same number) of bytes  as I am downloading.  (For
> > example, I rarely upload anything, and rarely have  attachments to
> > emails...)
>
> I don't quite follow this one.  Do you mean that you're seeing something
> like

Well, the first time I read your post (the one this responded to, I got the
(mistaken, I think) impression that you thought I had the in and out
directions backwards, so I was trying to clarify.

If I'm not mistaken again, I believe we both agree that:

Downloads from Earthlink: WAN in / LAN out
Uploads to Earthlink: WAN out / LAN in

> >  - "Downloading" (WAN_IN / LAN_OUT) == 10 bytes
>  - "Uploading" (LAN_IN / WAN_OUT) == 100 bytes

Yes we definitely agree.

By talking about the 10 to 1 ratio, I was trying to confirm that I had the
directions correct, in other words, using your example, my situation is:

- "Downloading" (WAN_IN / LAN_OUT) == 100 bytes
- "Uploading" (LAN_IN / WAN_OUT) == 10 bytes

> If you (or anyone in the house) play games, then the traffic (at least
> for the game) will be about equal.

My son does play one online game, "Words with Friends" on a tablet--but, it is
nothing like a--hmm, what do they call them--3rd person shooter(??)--it is
text oriented--sort of like scrabble--he enters a word every once in a while
(in addition to whatever overhead is involved in soliciting an opponent online
for a game).

> > Oh, and I have the statistics for both the IN and OUT on both the WAN
> > VC side and the Ethernet side, and, as I think I mentioned, if someone
> > wants to look at my spreadsheet, I can send it--I'm not sure how big
> > it is (I have to edit out some irrelevant other pages) so I probably
> > don't want to attach it to an email to the entire list.
>
> If you want to send it you can - just use the email address in my
> headers.

Thanks, I will send it to you, by attaching it to another copy of this
response sent to your address, only...

Note that the counters on the Westell apparently rollover at 2^32, so the
formulas in my spreadsheet have to take that into account.  Some times I have
to manually adjust (once so far, and I did it by a slight one-time revision to
the formula in the given cell).