Re: HELP! Re: How to fix I/O errors?

On Wednesday, February 08, 2017 06:37:55 PM Marc Shapiro wrote:
> On 02/08/2017 03:06 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> > On 02/08/2017 04:38 PM, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > Careful there, I would not copy any of the /home/username/dot-files or
> > dot directories over, except like .mozilla and .thunderbird, so you
> > don't carry over some old and crufty setting that might have been
> > problematic. To spare you nightmares like this one, I use the /opt
> > directory on a separate partition for all of my personal data.
> > So, I use /opt/ric/Documents and in my brand-new /home/ric directory I
> > delete the newly created Documents directory and then link (ln -s
> > /opt/ric/Documents Documents) and do the same with the other familiar
> > home directories like Videos, Music, Downloads, everything except
> > Desktop. If something goes ape, systemk-wise, you can do a fresh
> > install of / (root) directory and leave /opt alone. I've done this
> > since the old Caldera days. Nary a burp in the barrel! Ric

Why not make your own top level directory, i.e. /ric (with Documents and
such)--that's what I do.

> I don't usually go quite that far, but photos, videos, and virtual disks
> are all in /usr/local/  which I will also need to copy over.

Same comment as above--why not make your own top level directory for that
stuff.  (Reading the File Hierarchy Standard (FHS), I don't think that is quite
the intent of /usr/local--and could make some things inconvenient at one time
or another...)