Re: disk error -> reset entire USB connection

Ross Boylan wrote:

> I do seem to have a hardware problem with one of the disks (though I'm
> now getting an error for the replacement).  I moved it to a single
> drive case connected by USB and got errors when reading the same
> sectors that originally caused trouble.  It also exhibited the same
> behavior of reseting the USB connection and remapping the drive,
> though it only affected the drive with the problem in this case.
>
> *It is possible the error is happening further up the chain, and that
> this causes the reset which in turn causes the reported I/O error.
> Since the error seemed to move with the disk, it seems more likely the
> error is on the disk.

I think you can try newer kernel as xhci was buggy. Perhaps it is better in
newer kernel.

I assume you have external power supply to your disks.

I have also experienced failure on raided drives with usb. I prefer
SATA/eSATA links now.

The kernel version topic was already discussed. They have the same ABI but
keep patching, so it's normal to see two different versions one for the ABI
and one for the real version.

The disk could have been damaged. you can mark those sectors faulty and try
again

regards