Re: Can't make writable USB thumbdrive installer anymore

On Thu 02 Feb 2017 at 00:31:38 +0000, David Griffith wrote:

> >You used 'cp debian.iso /dev/sdX' and it didn't work? Is that what you
> >mean by "same results"?
>
> This is the exact procedure I used to create a one-partition thumb drive,
> which is writable, to install an arbitrary release of Debian as determined
> by which ISO was copied to the partition (sudo as necessary).  When followed
> on a Wheezy machine, the result is a thumb drive that works as I previously
> described.  When performed on a Jessie machine, the result is a thumb drive
> that fails to boot.

This is quite a neat method; I use it myself to put a Jessie archive on
a USB stick. My variations are inline. I cannot see what syslinux gives
me over GRUB.

> 1) Ensure these packages are installed: syslinux dosfstools mbr

syslinux and mbr not used.

> 2) fdisk /dev/sdb
>    (delete all partitons)
>    (create one primary partition)
>    (change partition type to 0x0b (W95 FAT32)
>    (set bootable flag)

Didn't bother. It still works.

>    (write changes and quit)
>
> 3) install-mbr /dev/sdb

Omitted.

> 4) mkdosfs /dev/sdb1
>
> 5) mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Then:
grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdb
Write a grub.cfg to put in /boot/grub.

> 6) cd /mnt

Not needed.

> 7) wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/initrd.gz

Copy initrd.gz to /mnt/boot.

> 8) wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/jessie/main/installer-amd64/current/images/hd-media/vmlinuz

Copy vmlinuz to /mnt/boot.

> 9) cd

Omitted.

> 10) echo "default vmlinuz" > /mnt/syslinux.cfg

Omitted.

> 11) echo "append initrd=initrd.gz" >> /mnt/syslinux.cfg

Omitted.

> 12) cp ~/iso-images/debian/debian-8.7.1-amd64-CD-1.iso /mnt

A netinst ISO was sufficient for what I was doing.

> 13) umount /mnt

Don't unmount.

> 14) syslinux /dev/sdb1

Omitted.

> 15) mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt

Omitted.

> 16) ls
> 	debian-8.7.1-amd64-CD-1.iso
> 	initrd.gz
> 	ldlinux.c32
> 	ldlinux.sys
> 	syslinux.cfg
> 	vmlinuz

A different output because the directory setup is different. vmlinuz and
initrd.gz are in /boot, for example.

> 17) umount /mnt
>
> At this point, I can remove the thumb drive and boot it on another
> machine.  I can also test it on QEMU.  For instance:
> 	sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -hdb /dev/sdb -display curses
>
> If the procedure was done on a Wheezy machine, the result is a bunch of text
> flying by and a normal install process beginning.  If done on a Jessie
> machine, the result is one of these two kernel panic dumps:

[...Snip logs...]

> So, in conclusion, the procedure works when done on a Wheezy machine, but
> not on a Jessie machine.  Why?  How can the problem be fixed?

Use GRUB?

--
Brian.