Can't make writable USB thumbdrive installer anymore

I used to be able to make a writable USB thumbdrive installer by following the directions found at https://hyper.to/blog/link/debian-installer-on-a-usb-key/, altering the name of the release and device. Now I can't get it to work. When I boot the resulting thumb drive, I get this:

List of all partitions:
No filesystem could mount root, tried:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown - block (0,0)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper/0 Not tainted 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 Debian 3.2.78-1

The system I'm using to create the thumb drive is Debian 8. I've tried to make installers for 7 and 8 without success. I used to be able to make viable writable install thumbdrives for Debian 7 and 8. What happened?

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org