Re: "No space left on device" error, but df shows plenty of space

On Thursday, 2 February 2017 10:05:58 PYST Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Kynn,
>
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 10:43:37AM -0500, Kynn Jones wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you use btrfs?
> >
> > Not that I'm aware of.  (FWIW, if I run `mount | grep -i btrfs` (as root),
> > I get no output.)
>
> Okay, so not a btrfs issue.
>
> > > What does "df -i" report now, after your reboot when things are
> > > working?
> > >
> >     # df -i
> >     Filesystem       Inodes   IUsed    IFree IUse% Mounted on
> >     /dev/sda5      24264704 1464023 22800681    7% /
>
> …and that doesn't show as being anywhere near full, so it most
> likely wasn't that either.
>
> Well I suppose it could have been processes holding open deleted
> files, though it would have to have been some really big files in
> that case, as your filesystem didn't show as being anywhere near
> full.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

let me guess:

facts:
/var is on the same partition as /
there is plenty of space and there are free i-nodes but anyway you got error
apt-get resulted in "no space left on device"
you rebooted and the error disappeared

=>

/ was mounted as r/o for some reason (unclean filesystem e.g.)