Re: Debian natively on Android device

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm interested in the problem of running Debian on an Android device and I
> visited:
>
>  https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile
>
> .  I'm trying to follow the tutorial:
>
>  http://whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Debian
>
> , but it seems to be quite hard.  I'm stuck where the tutorial says:
>
>  # mkbootimg --base 0x00200000 --kernel zImage --ramdisk initramfs.cpio.gz
>  # -o my-boot.img
>
> , as I don't know where the file zImage is on my Android device nor the
> base
> address (above 0x00200000).  I got some help from the debian-mobile
> mailing list but it was not such that I managed to solve my problem.
>
> I think it's important to remark that the above tutorial, as far as I
> understand, is not about running Debian within the costraints or at the
> top of
> Android system, as many other kind of solutions do, but instead natively.
> It compiles the Android kernel and replace - it seems - the original with
> the modified one.
>
> Anyone out there who's interested as well in the matter and has already
> experienced it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rodolfo

There is one device running on native (or almost native debian). The device
is called Nokia N9.
"MeeGo was a Linux distribution hosted by the Linux Foundation, using source
code from the operating systems Moblin (produced by Intel) and Maemo
(produced by Nokia)." [1]
Unfortunately discontinued.
The problem with your undertaking is (woud be) support for hardware aka
drivers. You can look at jolla [2], sailfish [3].

Honestly I admire people that have time to waste! If you want to be useful,
join some of the running projects. There are also lists of devices where
hardware is supported.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MeeGo
[2] https://jolla.com/
[3] https://sailfishos.org/