Re: "No space left on device" error, but df shows plenty of space

Hi everyone!  Thank you for your suggestions.  They taught some new tricks.

As it happened, I had to reboot the machine for an unrelated (?) reason (monitor would not wake from sleep).

After the machine rebooted, I was able to run `dpkg-reconfigure ntp` without error.

Unfortunately, I'll never know what the problem was.

Thank you all for your help.

kj

On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 8:28 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 08:01:00 -0500
Kynn Jones <kynnjo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Kynn,

>When I tried to install `ntp`, there was a "No space left on device" at
>the end of `apt-get`'s output, but `df` shows no shortage of space:

I've no idea whether this is relevant to your case, but it's possible to
be unable to use disk space if there are insufficient inodes left to
store the relevant directory/file info.  AIUI, a "No space..." error is
the result.

--
 Regards  _
         / )           "The blindingly obvious is