Re: Oddity noticed installing caja-gksu, Bug?

On Mon 30 Jan 2017 at 14:47:41 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 01/30/2017 11:49 AM, David Wright wrote:
> >On Sun 29 Jan 2017 at 08:58:17 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
> >>I using Debian 8.6.0 [with *NO* updates] from set of purchased DVDs.
> >>I use the Mate desktop.
> >>
> >>When I installed caja-gksu, it did not apparently have any effect
> >>until after a reboot. Is this expected?
> >
> >Installation should affect new instances of caja.
>
> The last time I did any low level coding the 8085 was state of the
> art ;/ The key question is likely just what defines "a new
> instance". IIRC there were no open caja "windows". Could be
> mistaken.

A process. I don't know what a caja window represents as I've never
used it. But a newly started process will see new links to the
libraries, including the one you just installed, libcaja-gksu.

>  It won't affect any
> >caja instances already running at the time you installed caja-gksu.
> >Next time you install Debian, you could test examples of each type
> >of instance, before and after, to establish the presence of any bug.
>
> Your timing is exquisite. I just solved a problem whose
> repercussions added much cuff to my install before I got it right. I
> was planning an install from scratch by the weekend. Due to previous
> install experiments, I've a customized preseed.cfg that makes test
> installs trivial.

Well, guessing that you will reinstall soon is a bit of a no-brainer;
how many times have you installed Debian over the last five years?
(Of course, one could just uninstall the library and then reinstall
it to perform the tests.)

> >>I found no indication either way in a web search.
> >
> >I don't think one would expect to, unless you searched for "ldconfig".
> >Caja is just one program among thousands that would be expected to
> >behave in the same way. Try:
> >
> >http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html
>
> Looks like I'm out of mischief for the weekend.
> Thanks

Cheers,
David.