Re: Oddity noticed installing caja-gksu, Bug?

On 01/30/2017 11:49 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 29 Jan 2017 at 08:58:17 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
I using Debian 8.6.0 [with *NO* updates] from set of purchased DVDs.
I use the Mate desktop.

When I installed caja-gksu, it did not apparently have any effect
until after a reboot. Is this expected?

Installation should affect new instances of caja.

The last time I did any low level coding the 8085 was state of the art ;/ The key question is likely just what defines "a new instance". IIRC there were no open caja "windows". Could be mistaken.

 It won't affect any
caja instances already running at the time you installed caja-gksu.
Next time you install Debian, you could test examples of each type
of instance, before and after, to establish the presence of any bug.

Your timing is exquisite. I just solved a problem whose repercussions added much cuff to my install before I got it right. I was planning an install from scratch by the weekend. Due to previous install experiments, I've a customized preseed.cfg that makes test installs trivial.

I found no indication either way in a web search.

I don't think one would expect to, unless you searched for "ldconfig".
Caja is just one program among thousands that would be expected to
behave in the same way. Try:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

Looks like I'm out of mischief for the weekend.
Thanks

Cheers,
David.