Re: Installing a package downloaded from snapshot - was [Re: Mate error message under Debian 8.6.0]

On Fri 27 Jan 2017 at 12:41:00 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

> On 01/27/2017 09:40 AM, Brian wrote:
> >On Fri 27 Jan 2017 at 07:42:27 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> >[...Lots of snipping...]
> >
> >>The underlying condition that triggered all the "observables" is that the
> >>.deb in [2] is not compatible with Mate delivered on Debian 8.6.0 DVDs.
> >
> >[2] is http://snapshot.debian.org/package/mate-desktop/1.10.2-1/#mate-user-guide_1.10.2-1
> >
> >Very unusual. This is a documentation package and is highly unlikely to
> >have any complex dependencies. Indeed, the only dependency is yelp.
> >
> >What does "not compatible" mean? How did you discover this? There are
> >messages or logs to accompany your experience?
> >
> >BTW. I've just installed the package on a Jessie GNOME machine.
> >

> SO WHAT???????
> This thread is about *MATE*!

If the package installs on GNOME it will install on MATE.

Not that we know why it didn't for you. It is a closely guarded secret.

After asking

  I have downloaded the package referenced in [2] as recommended.
  How do I install it?

you appear have lost your way. As a reminder; 'dpkg -i <package>'.

> The following is a reading test for Brian.
> <begin quote from control file for mate-user-guide_1.10.2-1>
> Package: mate-user-guide
> Source: mate-desktop
> Version: 1.10.2-1
> Architecture: all
> Maintainer: MATE Packaging Team <pkg-mate-team@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> Installed-Size: 23708
> Depends: yelp
> Breaks: mate-desktop (<< 1.10.2-1~), mate-desktop-common (<< 1.10.1-2)
> Section: x11
>  The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an
>  intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors
> for
>  Linux and other Unix-like operating systems.
>  .
>  MATE is under active development to add support for new technologies while
>  preserving a traditional desktop experience.
>  .
>  This package contains MATE's user guide.
> </end quote>
>
> 'nuff said?

Read it. MATE is is a DE which is integrated into Debian. Do I get a
gold star for comprehension?

--
Brian.