Re: Installing a package downloaded from snapshot - was [Re: Mate error message under Debian 8.6.0]

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 08:00:03AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/20/2016 09:10 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:
On 2016-12-20 08:34 -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:

When I right click on the top panel and then chose "Help" I receive
"Could not display help document 'mate-user-guide'. The specified
location is not supported."

As I do not have adequate bandwidth for install from internet I use
purchased sets of DVDs. I assumed the document had not been on DVD1. I
used Synaptic to add the other 12 DVDs. I searched for
'mate-user-guide' without success.

Where would the required documentation be?

Apparently it was only packaged after the Jessie release, due to some
licensing issues (GFDL) in versions prior to 1.10.  You could install
the version from testing[1] or an older one from snapshot.debian.org[2].
The latter is probably preferable, since it's closer to the mate
version in stable.

Alternatively, Linux Mint has a 1.8.1 version in their repositories[3]
which you could install.  Here is the usual disclaimer: inspect the
package before you install it, and if there's any file conflict with
Debian packages you are on your own.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://packages.debian.org/stretch/mate-user-guide
2. http://snapshot.debian.org/package/mate-desktop/1.10.2-1/#mate-user-guide_1.10.2-1
3. http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/import/m/mate-desktop/mate-user-guide_1.8.1-0_all.deb

I have cleared up some unrelated problems.
I have downloaded the package referenced in [2] as recommended.
How do I install it? A reading assignment would be appreciated.
TIA

I find the most reliable method for installing downloaded deb files is to use the gdebi (or gdebi-kde if you prefer) package. You can configure your file manager to associate *.deb files with gdebi-gtk (the executable shipped in the gdebi package) or you can run "gdebi-gtk /path/to/*.deb" at a command line (I believe gdebi will ask for superuser privileges ONLY when it needs them).

gdebi lets you look at the contents of the package before installation and, unlike dpkg, it knows about dependencies so it can tell you before you install the file whether you already have everything installed, whether the requirements are unsatisfiable (as would be the case for some 'foreign' packages) or, if packages need to be installed, they will be installed at the same time as the package (so no need for apt's "fix-broken" option).

--
For more information, please reread.