Re: Early boot became slower

Mattia Oss composed on 2017-01-27 17:56 (UTC+0100):

On Fri, Jan 27, 2017 at 04:14:57AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

Mattia Oss composed on 2017-01-27 01:34 (UTC+0100):

> On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 02:18:36PM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> > For the boot menu, or after?

> To clarify I uploaded some videos (sorry for the crappy quality :/ )

You haven't answered my question.

Well, apparently you haven't seen my videos. Anyway: right after the
grub menu.

None of those play for me. The resolution on the initial screens is so poor

This sentence doesn't make sense. Did you play them or not?

I clicked the links. The browser opened them, meaning I saw that they were videos in whatever player the browser chose to try, and was able to see their first frames display. Clicking play produced error messages instead of playback.

They are 1920x1080 with h264 codec in a Matroska container. I think
that's pretty standard. Which player did you use?

I chose no player. Normally I don't click anonymous links. I clicked your links anyway. I don't watch videos on a PC. That's what I have TVs for. If I click a link to a video and it won't play, that's the end of it. I don't try to figure out why.

When I ask for information on a mailing list, it's information I want, not a video. I have no patience for digging information out of a video.

I don't have the splash or quiet parameter in grub (are you using
ubuntu?)
Rarely. I multiboot all my machines with various combinations of Wheezy, Jessie, Stretch, Sid, AntiX, openSUSE, Fedora, Mageia, and rarely, Mint, Kubuntu, CentOS or Gentoo. All my boot stanzas omit quiet and most contain splash=0. Plymouth is only installed on installations where its removal would strip it down into an unusable state (e.g. Mageia).

but if I use GRUB_TERMINAL=console or GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
I get a super fast and super ugly output. This can be seen in the 3rd
video.
If the video plays. A single image would suffice to answer my question about "huge" characters if you cannot find words to do so.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/