hostname drops off between remote sessions

I rent a VPS from Contabo, in Germany (as if the location were relevant), which is still running wheezy. Lately, when I access it (generally via ssh) the hostname appears to be changed to (none). I have yet to determine if this is only when I've had to remotely restart is from the contabo control panel, or just any/every time I log-in again, but it seems kind of random. I just reset it with hostname $mychosenhostname, and that remains the hostname for the duration of my session, but I'll come back another time (Like I said, I have yet to rule out or determine whether it's only after reboots or not, although I'm beginning to suspect it is.), and it will be (none) again, although my /etc/hosts file appears unchanged.
(paste)
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
127.0.1.1       ip-185-226-238-178.contabo.net  ip-185-226-238-178
178.238.226.185 myownsite.me    myownsite
178.238.226.185 mail.myownsite.me       myownsite.me
178.238.226.185 tonybaldwin.me          myownsite.me
178.238.226.185 mail.myownsite.me       myownsite

::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
# 178.238.226.185 vmi12265.contabo.net vmi12265
178.238.226.185 www.myownsite.me        myownsite
(/paste)

It never, for several years, used to do this, it is recent, and to me, perplexing behaviour.
When I log in, I want to see
tony@myownsite.me:~$ not tony@(none):~$

Now, I'm reading here:https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-change-your-hostname-on-debian That I have to run /etc/init.d/hostname.sh, which I do not ever recall having to do in the past to permanently set my hostname, and when I try to run that, I get an error about my hostname not being valid
:/etc/init.d# ./hostname.sh start
hostname: the specified hostname is invalid
What's going on here?

Why am I having so much headache with something as simple as setting permanently the hostname? This all started in about the last 60-90 days. Prior to that I do not recall ever seeing this oddity.

Thanks,
Tony
--
http://tonybaldwin.me