nested screen on an attached display

Hello out there,
I have probably a bug to report (Debian testing). Im not sure which is
the component which fails in my case. Its regarding my Thinkpad X60,
which is connected with a docking station and over that with a monitor.
I faced this issue last year already but supposed that is has something
to do with my change from Awesome WM to i3 WM. The screen resolution on
my TP is allright in most of the cases. But on my attached 19" display
it's a mess. First with the display manager Lightdm, I have the
wallpaper all over the screen (which is what I want) but within that I
have a "nested" screen. And the login dialog is alligned within this
nested screen. The nested screen has the resolution of my TP (11")
On my desktop (i3) it's the same, the wallpaper all over the screen and
a nested screen within that screen, with the size of the Thinkpad
screen. And I can use only that nested screen for applications, whereas
I can move the mousepointer all over the screen. I tinkered myself a
solution with xrandr but this is not very predictable. Sometimes it
works, sometimes not. And it drives me crazy when I plug in a SSD with a
Xubuntu 15.10 the display is always properly recognized . And as I
mentioned until december 2015 I didn't have this problem with Testing.

I do not talk about a two screen solution or any like that, its just if
work with my docking station, I use an external 19" display and the
notebook display is off. It should work, it worked all over the last years.
I could make a bug report, but Im not sure, which is the culprit for
this issue. At the moment I have also the problem, that the DM screen is
black at start, just after I make a right mouse click I have a login
screen.

Has anybody a clue, which the problem caused?

Thank you in advance

Best Regards Christian