Re: Chromium jumps to any workspace it likes.......

On Thu 04 Aug 2016 at 19:34:15 (+0100), Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2016 19:06:51 David Wright wrote:
> > Reviewing your posts, the first sympathetically commiserated with the OP,
> > the rest seemed to be arguing with those who knew something about fvwm
> > and were trying to comment on the problem and its possible amelioration.
>
> David, that is unfair.  I argued one thing only.  That what you are saying
> refers to you and FVWM and not to everybody.
>
> It does not apply to the software I use.  Why on earth are you so determined
> to argue?  I know nothing about FVWM and have never claimed to do so.  You
> told me that I was wrong in what I said, when I was not.  I argued against
> that.  I did not claim that it referred to FVWM.  In the DE I use, which I
> have used for 12 years through a name change, I use desktops and can move
> things from one desktop to another in the desktop preview and pager, in the
> panel, by drag and drop.  I can then go the relevant desktop and there it is.
> You can tell me that I am wrong all you like, it will not make me wrong.  Do
> stop arguing for the sake of it.

Please point out where I told you that you were wrong.
(Off list if you think it'll bore people.)

A summary of my posts:

1) https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00051.html
Request for clarification from the OP in case their terminology is
more similar to yours than to mine or that in man fvwm.

2) https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00060.html
A description of a workaround for the OP's problem, with a caveat that
it will only work with one of my interpretations of workspace.

3) https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00068.html
A clarification of the terms I have used in post (2) with xterm
commands that anyone can use to ascertain whether the workaround will
work if they are using fvwm and can't figure out which meaning of
workspace applies.

4) https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00098.html
Comments to the OP on their specific interactions they have had
with fvwm, and a further detail on my workaround.

5) https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/08/msg00099.html
a. An apology for not addressing a wider interpretation of the problem
(using the Subject line only) but restricting my comments to the
window manager mentioned in the OP.
b. The reason why I posted (1), ie my wondering which meaning of
workspace was intended by the OP.
c. A retort to your unnecessary exhortation.
d. My take on your postings.

> IT IS NOT FVWM and I never said that it was.

I haven't discussed your symptoms or software in my postings.
All my comments/workarounds have been written to the list for the
benefit of the OP and people like them using fvwm and chromium.
Whether it's polite to or not (on a list), I just ignored the
detail in your postings and concentrated on getting the workaround,
with its caveat and the gloss, onto the list.

> I said that it applied to Chrome (and chromium, of course.  See the
> subject line).  And that the facility meant that the problem is a minor
> annoyance only.

That's exactly what I ignored.

Having observed no difference in the behaviour of chromium and,
say, firefox on my systems, then my discussing it specifically
would be pointless, so I didn't bother.

How frustrating is it for the OP? I have no idea. I just got on with
posting my workaround.

> I know nothing about FVWM and would not pretend that I do.

I assumed that most people don't, which is why, after post (1) didn't
elicit a response from the OP, I made sure I was clear about what
*I* was describing, with concrete examples for clarification. All
written for the OP and the list, not for you or at you. Your first
posting merely triggered my writing (2) earlier than I might have
otherwise.

Cheers,
David.