Re: Chromium jumps to any workspace it likes.......

On Thu 04 Aug 2016 at 17:32:37 (+0100), Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Thursday 04 August 2016 17:13:06 John Hasler wrote:
> > Lisi writes:
> > > And the authors of the software (DE) I use, use the term desktop
> >
> > But the software under discussion is FVWM, which, if I understand
> > correctly, is not what you use.  It would be nice if all the window
> > manager and desktop environment authors would agree on standard jargon,
> > but that is not reality.
>
> It wasn't originally.  Look at the subject header.

I apologise. I read line three of the OP which said 'Using FVWM'.

> I specifically said in my
> original post that I did npt want a falme-war about terminology, but I seem
> to have got one any way.  The OP asked if anyone else had met the problem.
> At all.  In Chromium.  See the subject line above.  I have.  It is most
> irritating.  Blow your idea of the correct terminology which every person on
> the planet must use.

I then asked for clarification, which may have mystified people who
don't use a WM as flexible and configurable as fvwm. That flexibility
requires terms to describe it. Imagine you'd never seen xinerama and
had just come across it. You would need a term to distinguish it from
the multiple disjoint desktops that I mentioned at the start of my
second post (for which I my workaround would not work).

> Go and argue with someone about folders and directories.

They are effectively synonyms in this context. We (I) was trying to
discuss features that are superficially similar but have critical
differences in their behaviour.

Reviewing your posts, the first sympathetically commiserated with the OP,
the rest seemed to be arguing with those who knew something about fvwm
and were trying to comment on the problem and its possible amelioration.

Cheers,
David.