Re: Chromium jumps to any workspace it likes.......

On Wed 03 Aug 2016 at 22:08:16 (+0100), Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 August 2016 20:50:05 David Wright wrote:
> > Anyway, if it's workspace in the sense of the one mention of
> > "workspace" in   man fvwm   ie desktop, then I can't be of any help.
>
> Thanks, David.  I don't think that anyone can be of any help.  I think one
> just has to curse and live with it!  After it has opened where it wants to
> open, I mouse-drag it to where I want it.  Easy, but mildly irritating.

The OP said they use fvwm which exhibits the behaviour I described.
If you can drag the window from where it popped up to where you want
it, then it was on the correct *desktop*.

If it pops up on the wrong viewport, you've got to navigate to the
correct one and then either make it sticky and switch back, or drag it
viewport by viewport to the correct one.

Looking at the commented lines in my .xsession files, I see that
fvwm desktops correspond with the X server's $DISPLAYs, so
$ xterm -display :0.1
will map it to a different Desktop from :0 (or :0.0).

fvwm viewports can be addressed in xterm using X resources, so
$ xterm -xrm "*Page: 1 3"
will map it to the 4th row down and 2nd to the right, and switch
to that viewport.
They can also be addressed by using the geometry, so
$ xterm -geometry +2000+100
will map the xterm in the next viewport to the right if the
x-resolution is less than 2000. In this case, the viewport doesn't
switch: the window maps off the screen instead.

I have no idea how any of the browsers decide where and how large to
map their window. I don't think it could be as simple as -geometry;
unlike xterm, simplicity is just not their style.

Cheers,
David.