Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

Le 12/03/2016 08:50, tomas@tuxteam.de a écrit :

So. Now I'll bite off my tongue and take my ball with me. I'm off
this thread. I can't bear the overall animosity and poking of
fun at those who try to put some effort into avoiding binary
blobs.

no, not for me.

there are two parts: having a hardware that just works, and for this Brother is better than many other makes, and getting free of privative software, which is better but harder.

By the way it's a bit of a dead way: even RMS do not ask for free BIOS... when he could (there is work on the subject).

I remember the time where every printer was sold with a manual stating what codes was giving what.

So working toward a free driver is a good idea, but this have to be done with knowledgeable people, probably (no offense!) not to be found here but in gutenprint mailing list

http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/

they list some brother mfc printers, so may be yours is not so far from support, if you help

Brother MFC-6550MC	brother-mfc-6550mc	Brother-MFC-6550MC
Brother MFC-8300	brother-mfc-8300	Brother-MFC-8300
Brother MFC-9500	brother-mfc-9500	Brother-MFC-9500
Brother MFC-9600	brother-mfc-9600	Brother-MFC-9600

(on the printer list, the names are not by alphabetic order)

ask them (and report here, please :-)

thanks
jdd