Re: Problem adding lines to /etc/fstab

On 31/12/16 06:52, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
This is the first time I've heard of this "solution" named "User Private
Groups".
Reading the RedHat and Debian doc referred to, "User Private Groups" seems
to be another name for setting the umask and the setgid bit in a directory
intended for shared work. Did I miss something or is that all it is?

Also, every ordinary user gets their own personal group on account creation (hence the name); this is the default group for files created by this user. Other than that and umask 002 or 007 and the setgid bit on shared directories (with a different group for sharing), that is all there is to it. This pattern has been popularised by Fedora / Red Hat / CentOS for at least ten years.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director