Re: Do have programs have poor documentation? (was ... Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal")

rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> Well, just to add another viewpoint (and because it was (is?) a sore point
> with me):
>
> * I used to program on paper (and, really, still do on those rare
> occasions)--I think out what I plan to do, even to the level of code or
> pseudocode--then I go to a machine and enter what I've written (for me,
> the first was paper tape on teletype machines, then punched cards)
>
> * the sore point for me was having ("cowboy") programmers work with me,
> who, imo, did more trial and error than planning--resulting in lots of
> errors and delays...
>
> Anyway, I'm pretty much past all that now ;-)

First of all a manual does not imply design etc. It is just a manual - the
hand book to the product. Some are good and some are bad. Those have no
relation to design.

2nd a computer (and a program) are terms that are part of 400y philosophical
tradition in mathematics here in the west and (someone might be upset) it
is related to (our christian) God and eternity. Shortly explained if
Keppler did not ask himself, how one could prove that god is eternal and
exists ... we wouldn't have a computer at all, because the question of
eternity/infinity lead via Gödel, Kantor etc to Allen Turing ... who
defined a machine that is able to run eternally.

to your last point (trial and error) there are always two types of
enthusiasts - the average and the genius. The best example is Edison vs
Tesla.

If a developer does not know how to document his/her work - he's a crippled
id*ot and must be fired. The sad thing is that people learn less and less
language at school, so no wonder there are more and more id**ts on this
planet.

regards