Trouble shooting a "thinkfan" problem on a Lenovo T430 Thinkpad

I just purchased a used T430 to replace a R61 which had died to a fan failure. I've installed a minimal Jessie including what installer considers standard utilities and a very basic MATE DE.

I used Synaptic to install "mate-system-tools".
An error message said "thinkfan post installation script returned error exit status 1".
I checked for airflow - there was NONE.
Booted into Windows 7. There was warm airflow whose temperature decreased with time.
I returned to Debian and attempted to reinstall "thinkfan.
Error message stated "attempted to reinstall E: Internal Error, No file name for thinkfan:i386".

Two questions:

1. How may I force the fan to run continuously at maximum speed. Noise &/or power consumption is not important.

2. What/where is this "missing file"? Any diagnostic suggestions?

TIA