Re: question about aptitudetask-ldxe

On Monday 26 December 2016 00:19:31 Charlie Kravetz wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 23:51:03 -0500
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:

> >> Package: task-lxde-desktop
> >> Depends: tasksel (= 3.31+deb8u1), task-desktop, lightdm, lxde
> >> Recommends: lxtask, lxlauncher, xsane, libreoffice-gtk, synaptic,
> >> iceweasel, libreoffice, libreoffice-help-en-us, mythes-en-us,
> >> hunspell-en-us, hyphen-en-us, system-config-printer, gnome-orca
> >>
> >> so how about:   # aptitude -R
> >
> >That will not tell me what it will do, and with my previous
> > experience with aptitude leading to a complete re-install every
> > time, I don't do anything without knowing what it will do. Its idea
> > of package management the last time I wanted something like htop
> > installed, was to rip out 278 other vital packages, so I had to
> > locate the install dvd and start all over.  By the time I actually
> > had it running the machine again, was about 3 days work. Burn me
> > once was educational, twice was because I must learn slow.  Its not
> > going to do anything again without knowing exactly what that next
> > keypress, other than a 'q', is going to do.
> >
> >I would much rather we figure out how I can run synaptic, it is
> >installed, but if root tries to run it, it can't use display 10:
> >If pi tries to run synaptic-pkexec, it asks for the root pw, I enter
> > it, and something in polkit-1 screams because I am not the logged in
> > user.
> >
> >The paranoia about denying the user, root or otherwise, the ability
> > to run a decent package manager is wearing thin in this old chiefs
> > camp. I've been running a linux house exclusively since rh5 in 1998.
> > After 18 years, I know well how much damage root can do, aptitude
> > has demonstrated that twice already.
> >
> >So please, lets make synaptic run for me if you can't tell me what
> > that commandline "aptitude -R" launch will do.
> >
> >> Cheers,
> >> David.
> >
> >Cheers David, Gene Heskett
>
> To run synaptic:
> go to root as user pi - su
> run synaptic - synaptic
>
> It does not need pkexec to make it run from root.
screen scrape:
pi@raspberrypi:~/linuxcnc/configs/lathe $ su
Password:
root@raspberrypi:/home/pi/linuxcnc/configs/lathe# synaptic

** (synaptic:2792): WARNING **: Could not open X display
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(synaptic:2792): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:10.0

Next?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)