Re: question about aptitudetask-ldxe

On Sunday 25 December 2016 23:05:03 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 25 Dec 2016 at 22:19:27 (-0500), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings everybody, I hope you have had and enjoyable day;
> >
> > I am currently logged into a raspi 3b with an armhf jessie-lite
> > install.
> >
> > That means the only x is enough to export it.  But I know for a fact
> > that x can run quite well, I have seen it do so.
> >
> > But that install was well and truly wrecked because the kernel
> > wasn't pinned, and it was a realtime kernel. So the updater
> > overwrote the kernel with one that can't do the job and by the time
> > I realized the kernel running wasn't the right one, and I could not
> > force the re-installation because it couldn't, even as root,
> > overwrite the overlay stuff.
> >
> > So this is a fresh install of jessie-lite for armhf.
> >
> > Installing lightdm, and telling it to open a default "seat" gets me
> > a teeny little, non-movable terminal with just enough mouse to allow
> >  me to put keyboard focus on it.  From there I can cd around, run
> > nano, or even run the app I built this to run, linuxcnc.
> >
> > But I need a real "desktop", so despite the fact that aptitude has
> > totally destroyed my systems twice with its wild dependency
> > removals, its the only thing I have that can show me a list of
> > files. So I am sitting with task-lxde-desktop selected, and looking
> > at a screenfull of red because its dependencies aren't satisfied. I
> > want to install  it, but not as it shows in the view.
> >
> > If it will install everything marked in red, then it will install a
> > bunch of stuff I absolutely do not need for this job, like 500
> > megabytes of libreoffice stuff.
> >
> > Help please, or tell me how to run synaptic, it won't let the
> > default user, pi run it without the ROOT passwd, which something in
> > polkit-1 has kittens over because that makes me not the logged in
> > user, or if I become root and try to run synaptic, it can't open
> > display 10:.
> >
> > So aptitude guru's, how do I install lxde so I might have a useable
> > desktop, without also installing half a gigabyte of libreoffice I do
> > NOT need on a limited resource machine.
> >
> > If I need to use a libreoffice/openoffice tool, I have half a dozen
> > other x86 boxes about the place that can run it just fine.
> >
> > Many Thanks for any help.
>
> Package: task-lxde-desktop
> Depends: tasksel (= 3.31+deb8u1), task-desktop, lightdm, lxde
> Recommends: lxtask, lxlauncher, xsane, libreoffice-gtk, synaptic,
> iceweasel, libreoffice, libreoffice-help-en-us, mythes-en-us,
> hunspell-en-us, hyphen-en-us, system-config-printer, gnome-orca
>
> so how about:   # aptitude -R

That will not tell me what it will do, and with my previous experience
with aptitude leading to a complete re-install every time, I don't do
anything without knowing what it will do. Its idea of package management
the last time I wanted something like htop installed, was to rip out 278
other vital packages, so I had to locate the install dvd and start all
over.  By the time I actually had it running the machine again, was
about 3 days work. Burn me once was educational, twice was because I
must learn slow.  Its not going to do anything again without knowing
exactly what that next keypress, other than a 'q', is going to do.

I would much rather we figure out how I can run synaptic, it is
installed, but if root tries to run it, it can't use display 10:
If pi tries to run synaptic-pkexec, it asks for the root pw, I enter it,
and something in polkit-1 screams because I am not the logged in user.

The paranoia about denying the user, root or otherwise, the ability to
run a decent package manager is wearing thin in this old chiefs camp.
I've been running a linux house exclusively since rh5 in 1998. After 18
years, I know well how much damage root can do, aptitude has
demonstrated that twice already.

So please, lets make synaptic run for me if you can't tell me what that
commandline "aptitude -R" launch will do.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers David, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)