Re: WARNING! New Perl/Perl-base upgrade removes 141 Sid/Unstable packages

On Wed, 21 Dec 2016 19:00:06 +0000
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 19 December 2016 18:58:43 Joe wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Dec 2016 12:38:51 +0100
> >
> > Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Not always.

> > > But that's not automatic (aptitude can also do that, and one can
> > > undo a choice if it yields removals).
> >
> > Difficult to see how it could be automated, as sometimes it's a
> > value judgement as to whether to temporarily sacrifice application
> > x in order to upgrade y immediately, or whether to wait a while.
> > Occasionally, a package is removed permanently, and there's no
> > obvious way of differentiating such a removal from a temporary
> > dependency issue without resorting to a search engine.
> >
> > And I know that aptitude can do all kinds of amazing things in
> > interactive mode, but I have some kind of mental block about it.
> > I've tried learning it two or three times, and it seems to be just
> > about as counter-intuitive to operate as anything possibly can be.
> > I have nothing against curses programs, I use mc in preference to
> > other file managers for admin work on my workstation, which does
> > run X at all times. I just don't get on with aptitude.
>
> aptitude can do a lot on the cli.  I don't get on with n-curses
> programs. That's not to say that you personally would like it any
> better, of course, but one doesn't have to use n-curses to use
> aptitude.

Yes, I drive it cli, except for my sid installations that are rarely
upgraded: aptitude isn't really up to 500-package dependency
calculations. But elsewhere I use it in general preference to apt-get.

--
Joe