Re: network setup

I'm trying for a single wireless connection.
I wrote some stuff in /etc/network/interfaces and wrote some things in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and found command line documentation for bringing an internet connection up incomplete. Iwconfig has to be given the interface and told just about everything I put into /etc/network/interfaces but at least iwconfig preserves what I tell it across reboots. When I had a graphical user interface environment up I used a terminal and ran nmtui with no success too, so I've been around the block.

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016, Brian wrote:

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2016 07:42:01
From: Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: network setup

On Sun 11 Dec 2016 at 19:43:06 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:

I tried manual network configuration and debian renamed wlan0 to
wlx00c0ca364bd2 for some reason.  If I do ip a that shows up as possible
wifi connection.  Unfortunately ifup doesn't recognize that device name.

It is unclear (to me, at least) what you are trying to achieve and with
what tools. Would you please say whether you are trying to configure a
*single* wireless connection or is roaming involved?