Re: Advantages of Debian "backports" over "testing"?

On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 01:45:45AM +0200, Martin T wrote:

> what are advantages of using Debian "backports"("jessie-backports" in
> sources.list file) over "testing"("testing" in sources.list file)? As
> I understand, "backports" does not have all the packages from
> "testing". On the other hand, packages in "backports" are specially
> recompiled for "stable" so I guess they might provide better
> stability(?).

Suppose that you have a webserver that depends on OpenSSL, libc,
and, oh, libasn1.

All of those libraries are likely to get new versions in
testing. If you upgrade your webserver to testing, they all come
along for the ride.

On the other hand, upgrade your webserver to a backports
version, and the webserver has been compiled against the libs
you already have.

Meanwhile, your mail server also needs OpenSSL and libc, and
you don't want to push that to new versions yet...

-dsr-