Re: "command not found"

On Tuesday 06 December 2016 17:26:55 Jude DaShiell wrote:

> It may be an ownership problem if you have the fetchmail package
> installed on your system.  The .fetchmailrc file may be in your
> account but that doesn't necessarily mean you explicitly own it.
>
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2016, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2016 16:21:23
> > From: Bob Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net>
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Subject: "command not found"
> >
> > I've run across this a number of times in the past, but it's usually
> > a permissions problem, easily fixed. Not this time.
> >
> > holtzm@localhost:~$ ls -l .fetchmail
> > -rwx------ 1 holtzm holtzm 365 Nov 26 14:05 .fetchmail

Who setup those perms?  Of course it will fail.  Heres mine.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 754964 Feb 11  2015 /usr/local/bin/fetchmail

fetchmail starts as root, and immediately does a set uid to the user that
launched it, and its been working that way here for for nearly 2
decades.  Its running as a daemon, as the user me, pulling new mail
every 3 minutes since the last reboot 11 days back.

> > Sure looks like it aught to work. It's probably something simple
> > that I'm missing and when someone points it ought I will ram my head
> > into a wall in self-disgust.

Not recommended. But a repeated reading of the man page might be
illuminating.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)