Re: OT: Read-Only NFS-mounted Debian System for Library Kiosk PCs, using KACE K2000 as PXE?

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 04:33:31PM -0600, Kent West wrote:

> Yes, that explains *what* to do in a general sort of way, but not *why*
> it's being done, so when a particular generalized step doesn't work, I'm
> having difficulty sorting out what that step is supposed to do, and how to
> do it in my situation. I was hoping to find someone familiar with the K2000
> and with Debian NFS/PXE booting, who's brain I might be able to pick. I
> didn't really expect to find anyone with that particular cross-over skill
> set, but thought I'd take a shot.

I haven't got a clue what a K2000 is, but the LTSP or Debian/Edu
does exactly what you say you want.

When a machine boots with a PXE-compliant NIC, it makes a DHCP
request. You have to answer that with an assignment of an IP
address and a special option that tells the address of a TFTP
server.

The PXE client then adopts the IP address and makes a TFTP
request. Have the TFTP server answer with a Debian kernel
configured with an NFS root, and make sure your NFS server will
make that available to your client.

Modulo a lot of network traffic, bob's your uncle.

Debian/Edu will happily supply you with all the components
above.

-dsr-