Re: OT: Read-Only NFS-mounted Debian System for Library Kiosk PCs, using KACE K2000 as PXE?

On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 02:07:44PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> But I have no real experience in PXE booting, and only vaguely understand
> the depths of Debian booting, and know very little about setting up a KACE
> (now Quest) K2000 Systems Deployment Appliance for network-booting a
> computer, and much less for booting a Linux image, and much less for
> pointing those Linux boxes to remote read-only NFS mounted systems (and I
> know little NFS at all).
>
> So, does anyone have enough experience with this combination of stuff, and
> willingness, to guide me in this process? Or even subsets of the process
> that might get me closer to the whole? I can't help but think there might
> be others in a similar situation that would benefit from finding this
> process detailed on-line.

The keyword you are missing is LTSP, the Linux Terminal Server
Project, which is a full setup of DNS, DHCP, PXE, images, and
administration.

https://wiki.debian.org/LTSP

and for a bigger project built on it, see Debian Edu /
SkoleLinux:  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/

-dsr-