Re: Weirdness with two packages.........

On 2016-11-28 at 01:10, Charlie wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Nov 2016 00:19:38 -0500 The Wanderer sent:
>
> <snip>
>
>> I have - different from your own:
>>>
>>> $ apt-cache policy libavutil55
>>> libavutil55:
>>>   Installed: 10:3.1.2-dmo2
>>>   Candidate: 10:3.1.2-dmo2
>>>   Version table:
>>>  *** 10:3.1.2-dmo2 100
>>>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>>      7:3.2-2 500
>>>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64
>>> Packages
>>
>> This is almost certainly your problem. The version of libavutil which
>> you have is from a different source, with a higher epoch version but a
>> lower upstream version, and is no longer available from your selected
>> repositories. In particular, it is not the same version as your other
>> libav* libraries (as the snipped version information for libavformat
>> indicates), and that mismatch is probably the source of the problem.
>>
>> Do you have any idea how this mismatched package version may have come
>> about?
>>
>> I recommend that you explicitly install the "lower" version listed
>> here (7:3.2-2), and see if your problem goes away.
>>
>> I don't know what tools you normally use for package installation and
>> upgrade, but I would do that with the following command (in a root
>> terminal):
>>
>> apt-get install libavutil55=7:3.2-2
>
> 	After contemplation, my reply is:
>
> I'm on a different machine now, at a different place when sending this.
>
> I only ever use apt-get for updates, upgrades, installs and purges.
>
> But before I left that machine I attempted your excellent suggestion
> and received this error message:

>  libswresample2 : Depends: libavutil55 (>= 10:3.1.2) but 7:3.2-2 is to
> be installed
> E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
> caused by held packages.
>
> I assume that I might have missed a bug report on a update/upgrade? So
> I will just have to purge libswresample2, and libavutil55 (>= 10:3.1.2)

Actually, it looks like libswresample2 has the same problem: the
installed version has a higher epoch but lower actual version.

My best guess is that at some point, you installed some package from a
different repository, which depended on these higher-epoch package
versions, and thus got them upgraded without upgrading the rest of your
libav* package ecosystem.

I would just add libswresample2 to your explicit-version install
command, and see what result you get. It may give further
unmet-dependencies errors; if you pursue the cascade far enough (I'd
advise checking each new package with 'apt-cache policy' to see
available versions before proceeding), you may be able to identify the
package(s) which depend or depended on the higher-epoch libav* packages
to begin with.

(Purging the libav* packages will probably result in trying to uninstall
various packages which depend on them, possibly including quite a few
things you may actually want. Although you could always do that and
reinstall the appropriate packages afterwards, "down"grading is almost
certainly the superior solution.)

--
   The Wanderer