Re: Weirdness with two packages.........

On 2016-11-27 at 22:14, Charlie wrote:

> The sent: Re: Weirdness with two packages.........
>
>     Wrote this:
>   >On 2016-11-27 at 18:57, Charles Schroeder wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Everyone,
>>>
>>> 	In  3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3
>>> 	(2015-08-04) x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>
>>> I get this message when I attempt to use Chromium:
>>>
>>> $ chromium
>>> /usr/lib/chromium/chromium: relocation
>>> error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.57: symbol
>>> avpriv_dict_set_timestamp, version LIBAVUTIL_55 not defined in file
>>> libavutil.so.55 with link time reference
>>>
>>> Much the same when I attempt to use goldendict:
>>>
>>> $ goldendict
>>> goldendict: relocation
>>> error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libavformat.so.57: symbol
>>> avpriv_dict_set_timestamp, version LIBAVUTIL_55 not defined in file
>>> libavutil.so.55 with link time reference
>>>
>>> I have no idea what is happening here or how I work round it?
>>>
>>> I can't find those files in my: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
>>>     directory?
>>
>>They should be there, not as files, but as symlinks.
>>
>>> Trying to install both those packages tells me they are "already
>>> the newest version" so nothing to install?
>>>
>>> Update, upgrade and reboot doesn't fix it.
>>
>>What versions are those packages at, according to e.g. 'apt-cache
>>    policy [packagename]'?
>>
>>What about the libavutil55 and libavformat57 packages?
>>
>>I have:

>>$ apt-cache policy libavutil55
>>libavutil55:
>>  Installed: 7:3.2-2
>>  Candidate: 7:3.2-2
>>  Version table:
>> *** 7:3.2-2 500
>>        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
>>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> I have - different from your own:
>
> $ apt-cache policy libavutil55
> libavutil55:
>   Installed: 10:3.1.2-dmo2
>   Candidate: 10:3.1.2-dmo2
>   Version table:
>  *** 10:3.1.2-dmo2 100
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      7:3.2-2 500
>         500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages

This is almost certainly your problem. The version of libavutil which
you have is from a different source, with a higher epoch version but a
lower upstream version, and is no longer available from your selected
repositories. In particular, it is not the same version as your other
libav* libraries (as the snipped version information for libavformat
indicates), and that mismatch is probably the source of the problem.

Do you have any idea how this mismatched package version may have come
about?

I recommend that you explicitly install the "lower" version listed here
(7:3.2-2), and see if your problem goes away.

I don't know what tools you normally use for package installation and
upgrade, but I would do that with the following command (in a root
terminal):

apt-get install libavutil55=7:3.2-2

--
   The Wanderer