Re: Package configure problem during Installation.

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 26 Nov 2016 at 11:51:19 -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

>> Thanks Sven. Is this still a beta service or mature enough to be
>> recommended to debian users? Hopefully there is a formal announcement
>> on this. As it stands, httpredir is mentioned in many places. For
>> example
>>
>> https://www.debian.org/mirror/list
>> https://www.debian.org/mirror/
>> http://httpredir.debian.org/
>>
>> and is all over the wiki (there are 145 hits for httpredir
>> site:wiki.debian.org in google).

> For the -devel thread:

>   https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/07/msg00071.html

I had a more recent thread in mind and I just found it. It was kind of
buried inside the "When should we https our mirrors?" thread.

From: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/10/msg00362.html

,----[ Peter Palfrader <weasel@debian.org>
| > TL;DR: Would we now recommend deb.d.o over httpredir.d.o for
| > production use e.g. in base images (including for Jessie)?
|
| Yes.
`----

And here https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2016/10/msg00490.html one
of the maintainers behind deb.debian.org states the "experimental" phase
has ended:

,----[ Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no>
| As of this morning, the bit about experimental was removed from the web
| page.
`----

And here the reference for d-i (more precisely debootstrap) switching to
deb.debian.org:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/11/msg00006.html

> I think viewing deb.debian.org as beta is fair. Viewing the redirector
> as deprecated or about to be closed down in not correct. There is a
> diversity of views in both threads.

There are. But all more or less agree that httpredir.debian.org is
unmaintained and just cruising along on auto-pilot.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.