Re: Package configure problem during Installation.

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 5:59 AM, amir khan <amir09837@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello!
> I am unable to configure the package manager. The mirrors given in the list
> of INDIA can't fetch any content.
> Is there any other way to configure it. I would really appreciate any help.
>
> Thank You!

Hi Amir Khan,

There are currently 3 Debian mirrors in India - debianmirror.nkn.in,
ftp.iitm.ac.in, mirror.cse.iitk.ac.in . The list changes from time to
time. To get the latest set of mirrors, go to
https://www.debian.org/mirror/list and search for the country of
interest (which in your case is India).

You can try these mirrors one-by-one and see which one works for you.
But I do not suggest this for the following reasons

1) This is not a scalable approach. For example, there could be many
mirrors for some countries (ex:- United States has 60) and trying each
can be tiring.
2) Geographical proximity to a mirror does not always mean that it
will serve you best.
3) Not all mirrors carry all the architectures. For example,
debianmirror.nkn.in carries three architectures while ftp.iitm.ac.in
carries five.
4) The process has to be repeated every time you move to a different
location which can be annoying for laptop users.

For these and many other reasons, it is better to use the "mirror
redirector service". The idea is to add something like

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian jessie main contrib non-free

in the /etc/apt/sources.list and let apt-get figure out the best
mirror for you. More details on this approach can be found at
http://httpredir.debian.org/ .

hope that helps
raju
--