Re: set domain name in Debian `

On Tue 15 Nov 2016 at 10:10:17 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 02:59:14PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > On Tue 15 Nov 2016 at 09:18:33 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > > Second choice:
> > >   System mail name:
> > >   eeg.ccf.org
>
> > > Eighth choice:
> > >   Keep number of DNS-queries minimal?
> > >   No
> >
> > You didn't use "yes"?
>
> Of course not.  Why would I do that?  I'm not on dialup.  I'm on a
> corporate LAN where I run my own DNS nameservers.

I hadn't appreciated that you're entirely desktop oriented.
As for myself, there's no DNS service here, no dotty addresses
at all as I have no domain name to call my own, here.
Hence also no point in DNS-queries, but I can shut exim up
by letting it make pointless lookups. I don't have a clue whether
my router bothers to ask 8.8.8.8 for dotless requests.

OTOH I own a domain name 3000 miles away which has no ISP-type
connection with me at all; it's the destination for emails bound
for me, so it's kind of important that exim rewrites that my
emails come from its address.

> > It would also happily send a string without dots as the HELO.
>
> Isn't that controlled by the "System mail name" option?  As you can
> see, mine is set to eeg.ccf.org.  Whether this is something I typed
> into exim config by hand long ago, or something that it picked up
> by itself from /etc/resolv.conf, I can no longer remember.
>
> Either way, I would have made sure it was correct.

Again, correct for me is no dots. As you can see from my headers, my
email all goes out through alum (unless I'm on the road).

> > Whether the remote server is happy is another matter.
>
> Indeed.  A mail server should be properly configured, not just left as
> "best guess from defaults".

Well, I don't see how a smarthost can enforce a dotty address unless
they issue you with a valid one. I can't put myself onto .cox.net
unilaterally, so unless I use the nonce domain name that is constructed
from the IP address (which could change at any time), I don't have
a FQDN except alum.

I assume Cox authenticate me by the physical wire I appear on. Maybe
they even check the MAC of the modem, though I'm not forced to use
theirs. When I'm on the road, I obviously use my own domain name for
the smarthost, but then I have to use a different port and a password.
Still no dotty HELO/EHLO though.

Cheers,
David.