Re: Movie problem

On Tuesday 15 November 2016 06:08:44 Victor A. Stoichita wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> > Camera is a Sony Digital Hi-8 Handycam, firewire interface.
> > Raw video is bulky as its a digital format, full resolution of
> > 720x480.  so its close to 6 gigabytes a running minute when
> > captured over the  firewire port.
> >
> > The only movie editor we have, that can also control this camera
> > for  start/stop/capture etc, is kino. No other movie prosessing
> > utility we  have has ever been in the same county as a firewire
> > port
>
> Did you try dvgrab? https://packages.debian.org/en/wheezy/dvgrab
> That’s what I use in commandline to capture Raw DV from my camera
> over firewire. I have an oldish Panasonic DV camera. Dvgrab knows
> perfectly how to start/stop it. I think dvgrab actually has some
> link to kino or the other way round.
>
> > Web submission site at aliexpress.com has no clue what to do
> > with a a  raw-dv file and refuses to take it as an
> > evidence submission.
> >
> > Kino, as in running on a fully uptodate wheezy, apparently can't
> > find  ffmpeg to make the conversion when I attempt to export
> > this 1 minutes  worth of raw-dv format video.  ffmpeg and all
> > its friends are installed.  But in kino, the whole page of mpeg4
> > options is ghosted out.
>
> To convert from DV to mpeg4 you can use avidemux. It’s available
> on debian-multimedia.org, but it’s also easy to build it yourself
> if you don’t want to add a repo. Instructions here:
> http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=build:install_2.6
> There’s an option to build directly a deb file. That’s what I use.
> Note that currently only the Qt interface seems to work on Jessie
> (GTK one segfaults at startup at least for me). Avidemux comes
> with its own implementation of ffmpeg. IIRC you must build and
> install its plugins too if you want mpeg4 conversion.
>
> In avidemux, the settings I use to get an acceptable mp4 for the
> web are: MPEG4-AVC for the video, AAC for audio, and of course MP4
> as a container.
>
> I hope it helps. Good luck!
>
> Victor

The last time I looked at dvgrab, it had no camera controls, but I'll
have to admit that was several years ago. But can it edit? kino can.

Odd, I can't find it in the tde menu's, but synaptic says it is
installed, but no docs. So I turned on the camera, and ran it from the
cli. I found the camera, and generated a file, but it never started the
camera in playback mode. Ack the manpage it needed a -i option. And I
see that Dan Dennedy wrote both, so its possible that kino uses dvgrab
to do the capture,  Interesting.  And you, Victor, should look at
kino. :)

Thanks.
0Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)