Re: set domain name in Debian `

On Tue 15 Nov 2016 at 09:18:33 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 02:10:14PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> > With 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config' the message
> >
> >  "Starting MTA:hostname --fqdn did not return a fully qualified name,
> >  dc_minimaldns will not work. Please fix your /etc/hosts setup."
> >
> > should appear if "yes" is chosen for the option. 'hostname -f' is useful
> > for checking there is a sane hosts configuration for exim to use.
>
> Now you're scaring me.  I'm afraid to run this thing to test your theory,
> because it might cause my perfectly working configuration to break.
>
> Well, let's back up /etc/exim4 and try it....

Backing up update-exim4.conf.conf would have been sufficient.

> wooledg@wooledg:~$ sudo tar czf /var/tmp/etc-exim4.tar.gz /etc/exim4
> [sudo] password for wooledg:
> tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
> wooledg@wooledg:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
> [[ now it goes into dialog ]]
>
> First choice:
>   mail sent by smarthost; received via SMTP or fetchmail
>
> Second choice:
>   System mail name:
>   eeg.ccf.org
>
> Third choice:
>   IP-addresses to listen on...:
>   127.0.0.1 ; ::1
>
> Fourth choice:
>   Other destinations for which mail is accepted:
>   wooledg
>
> Fifth choice:
>   Machines to relay mail for:
>   (blank)
>
> Sixth choice:
>   IP address or host name of the outgoing smarthost:
>   gateway.eeg.ccf.org
>
> Seventh choice:
>   Hide local mail name in outgoing mail?
>   No
>
> Eighth choice:
>   Keep number of DNS-queries minimal?
>   No

You didn't use "yes"?

> Ninth choice:
>   Delivery method for local mail:
>   Maildir format in home directory
>
> Tenth choice:
>   Split configuration into small files?
>   No
>
> Voila.  No need for hostname -f to return a string with dots.  Exim
> was perfectly content with what I've been doing for years.

It would be if "Keep number of DNS-queries minimal?" was "No".

It would also happily send a string without dots as the HELO.
Whether the remote server is happy is another matter.

This reply is the second one I've sent to your mail. The first was sent
after removing canonical_hostname from /etc/hostame. 'hostname -f' said
"desktop". The first mail was rejected by ldo:

  debian-user@lists.debian.org