Re: set domain name in Debian `

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 02:59:14PM +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 15 Nov 2016 at 09:18:33 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > Second choice:
> >   System mail name:
> >   eeg.ccf.org

> > Eighth choice:
> >   Keep number of DNS-queries minimal?
> >   No
>
> You didn't use "yes"?

Of course not.  Why would I do that?  I'm not on dialup.  I'm on a
corporate LAN where I run my own DNS nameservers.

> It would also happily send a string without dots as the HELO.

Isn't that controlled by the "System mail name" option?  As you can
see, mine is set to eeg.ccf.org.  Whether this is something I typed
into exim config by hand long ago, or something that it picked up
by itself from /etc/resolv.conf, I can no longer remember.

Either way, I would have made sure it was correct.

> Whether the remote server is happy is another matter.

Indeed.  A mail server should be properly configured, not just left as
"best guess from defaults".