Re: Symlinking or hard linking additional storage to /home directories

On Sat 12 Nov 2016 at 19:15:29 (+0100), Nicolas George wrote:
> Le duodi 22 brumaire, an CCXXV, Robert Menes a écrit :
> > My question is this: which is the better path to take? Symlinking or hard
> > linking another drive to ~/Music and ~/Videos? I understand that I
> > will need to edit /etc/fstab and all; that's fine. Just curious as to
> > whether symlinks or hard links are the way to go.
>
> You can not do hardlinks across different filesystems, so that part is
> settled.
>
> You could not do hardlinks on directories either, you would have to work
> plain file per plain file. That would be a pain.
>
> You could use bind mounts, but I really do not recommend it.
>
> I suggest mounting the extra storage somewhere like /data and using
> symlinks; that is what I do.

I agree with all that, but I avoid making symlinks. If I do a
recursive search of my home directory, there's really no point
in trawling through 300GB of photographs, so they're all under
/home/photos. I put them under /home just to avoid adding
directories to / but they're not users in the normal sense:
I own all the files. Similarly video, sound etc.

Cheers,
David.