Re: Symlinking or hard linking additional storage to /home directories

On Saturday, November 12, 2016 11:45:12 PM David Wright wrote:
> I agree with all that, but I avoid making symlinks. If I do a
> recursive search of my home directory, there's really no point
> in trawling through 300GB of photographs, so they're all under
> /home/photos. I put them under /home just to avoid adding
> directories to / but they're not users in the normal sense:
> I own all the files. Similarly video, sound etc.

Just to suggest another alternative, I put all of what I call my "real user
data" (that is things like photos, documents, ...) under a different top level
directory with subdirectories like the following:

/rhk <my user id>
/rhk/photos
/rhk/documents

I do this to, among other things, separate user configuration data (typically
hidden in /home/rhk) from "real user data".  Before I did that, I used to do
some dumb things.  One of the things that is easy to do is move my "real user
data" to other machines with no worry about messing up user configuration data
on such other machines.